Get Legal Help with Divorce in Washington
Many couples have successfully divorced without hiring a divorce lawyer. However, in some circumstances a lawyer is needed for full representation or to answer questions. Full representation is needed if you and your spouse disagree on issues and you know that you will not be able to work things out without having your own attorneys.
Here are some tips on how to find a qualified divorce lawyer in your area:
- Ask for referral from friends and family or ask for recommendations from lawyers whose services you have used for other matters. This is probably one of the best routes to finding an attorney who is right for you.
- Call your local county bar association or contact the Washington State Bar Association.
Upon meeting with the lawyer for the first time, consider asking the following questions:
- What is your experience and background? How many divorce cases have you handled?
- How would you handle my case?
- Describe the process step by step?
- How promptly will my calls be returned, and will I talk with you or your staff?
- Do you offer a payment plan, and how am I billed?
- Do you have a written Legal Services or Fee Agreement that we both will sign?
It is important that you feel comfortable with your attorney. Divorce is a very personal matter. Attorneys come in all different personalities. You can find an attorney that “feels” right for you. Take the time to find a good fit.ou may consider interviewing several lawyers before making your decision.